Monday, June 1, 2009

this is low, even for low

I know we've all been there.  The moment where we rip into a package of food, only to discover that the contents are quite a bit smaller than the container in which they were packaged.  It's always a disappointing moment for me as I feel the double whammy of loss of food and value. I've read the disclaimers...food may settle in packaging, yada, yada, yada. 

I think we all get it. It's more economic to package air than product, so manufactures fill up with as much as they can get away with without looking criminal.  Well, today I found a product that crossed the line. It was low, even for low.

The product.


The contents.


The level from the outside where the contents begin.



I rest my case.  

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Bummer!

Brad said...

Hey Angie, I agree. You were ripped off on this one. I hope you took that bag back in to Kroger's and got a replacement - of course you can't look like you consumed half the bag when you stand at the service desk (no potato chip crumbs on face or clothes, you know, the obvious things that look suspicious). Anyway, they say they fill the bag with air so that it cushions the chips so they won't break in shipping or handling in the store. That sounds plausible, but in this case, you're right -- they crossed the line. Take care!

trennia said...

Shame we pay for the air filled bags..when you pay 3.99 and have a handful of chips that's a rip off!
Write,email or call the company.

Adam & Amy Wilson said...

Don't get me started. (I love the clarifying detail of the finger-pointing picture) :)

Jennifer said...

I agree! That is distasteful!

Brandi said...

Ugh! How annoying! It seems like that is happening with everything. I've noticed reeces pieces has started selling much smaller packages of piecs, but for the same price as the larger ones were.

Lindse94 said...

Thank is criminal! I would write to the company on their website, it usually results in a coupon for a free product.

Cathy said...

No fair! Paying for air is just. wrong.

Anonymous said...

With an organic product, this seems doubly ridiculous to me. You'd think they'd pride themselves on doing great things for the environment, and yet here they are, using twice as much packaging as is needed and wasting valuable resources. Sad...

PeaceLoveHappiness said...

I might have shed a tear if I were you... truly disappointing, especially since that is my fav flavor of chips!