Friday, June 19, 2009

observations

I want to clear a few things up about my last post, because I feel like there was some level of misunderstanding, maybe not by all, but by some. The issue is God's faithfulness, and the question is, is God faithful because He gave me and the other girls new babies?

The answer to that question is no.  God is not faithful because He allowed us to adopt Adrienne.  He is not faithful because He allowed the other girls to have babies.  Rather, He is faithful.  Period.  Not faithful because __________.  Just faithful.  He is faithful through the bad times and the good times, and His faithfulness looks different in each individual person's life.

For me, it is impossible for me to view my life without seeing the faithfulness of God on every aspect, the happy and the sad.  God was so faithful to me every step of the road we walked through trisomy 18.  He was faithful to carry me through the grief that came with Poppy's death.  He was faithful to watch over me and protect me from wrong thinking and bitterness over what happened.  And then He was still faithful as He brought me out of the dark waters and into a season filled with happiness.  In my life, God was faithful in the way He brought Adrienne into our home, and in the way He has used the suffering we went through for His good.  Would that faithfulness be negated if Adrienne had never become part of our family? No

God's faithfulness isn't an equation.  There is no such formula as baby=faithfulness, husband=faithfulness, good job=faithful, good health=faithfulness etc.  Instead, God is faithful, always, and the ways we see that in our individual lives are as varied as the sand on the seashore.

It's a slippery slope to begin comparing God's faithfulness from one person's life to another.  God isn't fair, and He never claims to be.  Instead, He is there, sufficient, faithful, loving, and good.  I think we must all except that for our own lives, if we are ever going to be satisfied in God and His plan for our lives. 

I want to end by saying this.  I never want this blog to be a place where any group feels ostracized.  God loves us all equally, no matter what place we find ourselves, and it is never my intention to make anyone feel that if their life does not resemble mine, then God has not been faithful.  That couldn't be farther from the truth. I hope you see my heart.

5 comments:

KrazyMom said...

Thank you for this post. I wasn't going to comment on the previous one, but I too was feeling a bit hurt. I know that was not your intention and it is probably only because I am so emotional right now. It is easy for me to question God right now, even though I know deep in my heart that He is always with me and faithful! It is difficult to understand why I am on this journey with all of the heartache and still no new baby to fill my arms. I do know without a doubt though that in the end I will see His plan and understand His timing rather we receive our much anticipated adoptive placement or not. Thank you for clarifying.

Emily said...

This was such a great post. Sometimes it is hard to totally trust in our God and His faithfulness but he is always faithful. Period.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Great post Angie and I never took the other one to mean anything more than what you explain. Maybe because I have had the privilege of walking beside you girls in prayer as you suffered loss and experienced healing and joy along the way. God is always faithful to each one of us individually. Love you girl.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Dee Dee said...

I love your sensitivity. I believe we need to praise God for ALL He has done. To refrain from praising Him when he heals or blesses-- even praising Him for that healing -- because of fear of offending someone who has not been healed or blessed in the same way -- is closing our mouths instead of praising Him. I've sat in both chairs -- the place where your arms ache and the place where your cup is filled. We have to praise
Him. Love one another from the heart, pray for one another, but don't stop praising Him.
And you are right. God is good.
ALL the time.

Adam & Amy Wilson said...

Good, true words, Angie. We love you!