Saturday, December 5, 2009

The run

is done!!!



This morning was the St. Jude half-marathon, the race that I have been looking forward to and training for all summer and fall. I didn't know what to expect, never having done anything like it before, but it was an experience I will not soon forget.

St. Jude is an amazing place, and getting to run for the kids was definitely special. One of the best parts of the race was when the course took us through the St. Jude campus and the different families came out to cheer. One in particular brought tears to my eyes. A little boy in a wheel chair, hooked up to tubes and covered in blankets, sat next to his parents, cheering us on. He was such an inspiration, reminding me that you can't run for a better cause.

When I hit mile 10, those three miles ahead of me were looking awfully long; by mile 12 I was on autopilot. But I had two wonderful running buddies and together we pushed to the end. The race finished in AutoZone park to a baseball stadium full of cheering people. I finished at 2:09:52.

After today I can confidently say two things: 1)I'm glad I decided to run in a half marathon. 2) I will never run the full 26.2. That vow was made around mile 13 =).

And of course, the best part was seeing the happy faces waiting on me at the end.

15 comments:

sarahdodson said...

Wow, what an amazing accomplishment!!! Congrats on a great finish :o)

Sabrina said...

Amazing. I am envious of your physical ability, awesome JOB!

amanda and bear said...

awesome job, angie! i said i would never do a full too. :)

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Amazing and incredible. Congratulations. I run my 1/2 a week from tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

You were the best one out there! And I am not even biased one little bit!!! :0) Mom!
You looked great!

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

I'm proud of you! I have little thoughts of a 1/2 marathon myself, and I'm not a runner. Am I completely nuts?

Allison said...

That is awesome! I had a few friends that ran in it too:) I am thinking of training for a half too and I KNOW that I won't ever do a whole;) Love the picture of you and the girls!

Emily said...

Congrats on finishing, Angie. That's quite an accomplishment!

Laurin said...

So wonderful, Angie! Are you ready to commit to running the half in L-ville in May with me? = )

asplashofsunshine said...

What an accomplishment! I am in awe that you could even bend down to hug the girls after that. I ran a 10K (6ish miles) last year and I thought I would keel over. I'd love to run a half marathon or even a full marathon one day. Haaaa, yeah right! So proud of you!

Tonia said...

I am so proud of you!! Great job Angie!! That is one of my goals for either next year or the year after. I have to lose some pounds before I think I can even do that. I did run my first ever 5k this year. It did feel good to know that I DID it!! Congratulations!

Lee said...

Way to go! It was great seeing Nathan and your girls around mile 7. I hadn't seen any familiar faces up to that point!

Kim (marygracesummons.blogspot.com) said...

Hi Angie,
I did a half and I have no desire for the full either!! Check off my list:) Great Job!
I meant to get on the computer on the first and let you know I was thinking of you and your sweet Poppy Joy. I think of you more than you know.
Praising Him for how you glorify your sweet girl through your beautiful life!

Anna said...

YAYYYYYY! you must feel so good about it being over :) you're my inspirationnnnn!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Angie: I'm so proud! I can't even identify with your great accomplishment. You're special and I love you!!Grammy