Friday, March 27, 2009

sew easy

I couldn't stand looking at the pictures of the termites anymore, so I found something a little easier on the eyes. I was looking on etsy this morning for a baby present when I came across something I thought was pretty neat. DIY. I had no idea what that meant before I came across this skirt.


Isn't that fun? I love the big animal print and the bright colors, but even better than that, I learned about DIY, aka do it yourself. The idea is that this seller will send you the skirt kit, complete with the pre-cut fabric, ruffle, and elastic. With the hard work already completed by the seller, all that's left for you the buyer to do is to apply a little needle and thread action and you're done!

I love sewing, and on a very basic level, I know what I'm doing. But even so, seeing the cute fabric combinations with the grunt work already done is a very tempting proposition! It's slightly more expensive than getting all the supplies and starting from scratch, but sometimes designer fabrics can be $10-15 a yard anyway, making this skirt quite reasonable.

After seeing the skirt, I looked around to see if any other sellers had DIY options available, and my search came up with this pillowcase dress



and this seller who has a collection of iron on appliques for t-shirts. This guitar was one of several she had available.
k

If you've been wanting to try your hand at sewing, and you haven't known where to start, this seems like as good a place as any. Or if you are too busy to invest the time it takes to do it all, why not start here?

A fun idea I think. I'm going to order the animal print skirt and give it a go.

6 comments:

Laurin said...

Of course you know right when I got home, I looked on your blog to see what you were talking a/b it! LOVE IT! Almost too much for me to take it in. I think I may be getting a little over the top with sewing or rather my ideas to sew = ).

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should sell all the fabric I have already cut out and never sewn, lol. Who knew?

Anonymous said...

hmm... I wonder what you were on etsy looking for!?

-rach

Emily said...

So cute. I love DIY stuff. Well, I love when other people DIY...I'm totally not that talented. I'm not even sure I own needle and thread! lol. I have a friend who has an etsy site with cute baby stuff...check it out; http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=104037

Cristi said...

Oh I am so glad the termite post is gone! And this looks fun.

Adam & Amy Wilson said...

I love every piece-- but especially the skirt and shirt...so fun! I complained my way through sewing pillow covers for my couch pillows 2 years ago, so I figured sewing wasn't for me. Part of me wants the skill under my belt, though, so thanks for the opportunity for introduction. I think I still need a little more motivation than I currently have, but those fabrics are almost getting me there!