I've got to admit that I'm one of those people who likes to start listening to Christmas music the first day of December all the way through the 25th. I know some can't take more than a day or two, but for me the music is so intrinsically connected to the season, I can't have one without the other. I could do without ever hearing another rendition of "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" for the rest of my life, but there are others that seem to make everything a little bit richer.
So today's task is to create a playlist. I plan on going to iTunes tonight and downloading enough songs to make a good CD from that we can listen to in lieu of the radio. I know there are thousands of CDs already available, but I get tired of the same artist, even a good one, for a whole set of Christmas songs... There's just something about the variety that I like at Christmas. That being said, here are few that are for sures:
1. O Little Town of Bethlehem --my all time favorite! Does anyone have a favorite artist who sings this one? I'm still looking!
2. O Holy Night--I think I'm going to go with Martina on this one.
3. Jesus, King of Angels--this is a song by Fernando Ortega that is BEAUTIFUL. If you haven't heard it, you need to!
4. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer--this is Marianna's ultimate Christmas song, one we sing together just about every hour =)
5. Let it Snow!
6. Away in a Manger
7. Jingle Bells
8. Welcome to Our World--this is the song sung when Marianna played baby Jesus in our church's Christmas program just weeks after she was born. I love the Chris Rice version.
Those are the non-negotiables, but I'm looking for others. Do you have any must haves for the season? Do you have a particular artist that has a great version of one of the songs above? I'd love to hear your input!