Wednesday, July 1, 2009

off to see the wizard


Nathan, Marianna and I just finished watching The Wizard of Oz—and for two of the three of us, it was a first time viewing.  Somehow Nathan managed to make it to twenty-eight without ever seeing the iconic film.  Crazy, huh?  He told me that he knows all of these quotes from the movie, but he has not specific context for them.  Such a strange concept for me (and most Americans for that matter).  After all, I can't remember a time when I hadn't seen the movie.  It's just one of those that you grow up watching, never knowing when that first time was because it's always been there.  

I was not even aware of  the gap in my husband's knowledge of critical cultural folklore until we started talking about our trip to see Wicked tomorrow.  Once he let the cat out of the bag, we knew there was only one way to remedy the problem, and Nathan was on the phone calling video stores until he found a copy.


So now we are off to Wicked, both appropriately aware of the story line, and in great anticipation of seeing the much raved about musical.  I am intentionally ignorant of almost everything about the plot, so I can't wait to sit down tomorrow night and take it all in, with not even a hint of what will happen.  I'm thinking it will be a pretty terrific way to start off the holiday weekend with a bang!

10 comments:

Luke & April said...

Angie, I have been a silent blog reader of yours for some time now. I found your blog through Boothe Farley's blog. Your coffee post had me cracking up because I was recently explaining my own love relationship with coffee to a friend. Coffee is definitely something that has grown on me over the years and now I am hooked! I am a one pot a day kind of girl :) But a post about Wicked... that has brought me out of the woodwork!!! You are going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Wicked!! My mom and I saw it several years ago and it was incredible! We are Broadway lovers in my household but even if you are not you are going to love it! I can't wait to hear your take on it, but seriously, it is one of my all time FAVORITE musicals!

Just Me said...

My dad told me that The Wizard of Oz is the most quoted movie and I think I believe him! I too went to see Wicked “intentionally ignorant” of the plot, which I think made it MUCH better! Of course, I’d been listening to the soundtrack for years, so had to make a conscious effort not to start singing along. :o) You will have a FANTASTIC time and I can’t wait to hear all about it!
:o)Amanda

Kim said...

Have fun! I have always wanted to see Wicked. But I don't really remember The Wizard of Oz. (I know I saw it, but I also know it frightened me - most things did as a kid...I was weird.) So I should see it again.

patty said...

You are going to LOVE Wicked! I saw it in Atlanta last Fall, and will be seeing in NYC in two weeks. So excited! Have a wonderful time with your hubby!!!

M&B said...

Oh, you will love it!! The music will be stuck in your head for days! Matt and I saw it in Chicago back in the summer of '07. Have fun!!

Emily said...

how fun! Have a great time!

Unknown said...

Wicked is AMAZING!!! Meg and I saw it in NY in May, and we both LOVED it!

Jennifer Burgett said...

That has to be the best movie ever! At least it is my favorite.

I really want to see Wicked as well. You have to review it for the blog world!

Linda said...

I take full responsibility for Nathan never having seen 'The Wizard of Oz.' It was frightening to me as a child and even as an adult gave me the creeps. Somehow I do not think it warped him too much... Ha.

asplashofsunshine said...

WICKED is amazing! We saw it in San Francisco and it was worth every penny! HAVE FUN!